Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Follow Up Review of Happy Call Pan

I've been using the Happy Call Pan for a few months now. While I'm not a great experimenter like some  users who not only cook their meals with the pan, but are happily using it to make cakes and breads and so forth. Nonetheless I've gotten myself busier now as I ended up taking over the helper's role in the kitchen! Even then, I would say this is one of the best buys I've gotten for the kitchen.

In this post, I'm sharing more of my experience in using the pan:

1. Cooking vegetables
Depending on the amount you cook and especially the leafy ones, you will probably end up adding the vegetables in over a few rounds (after the vegetables have shrunk enough for you to add more in). This is due to the size of the pan, and I'm already using the deeper pan, which is bigger.

2. Fry fish (a whole fish)
Frying fish is probably the hardest to do, especially in trying to get crispy skin. You need to first make sure the fish is pat very dry, then at the advise of some other Happy Call users, to rub salt and corn flour on the skin before cooking. Still, I couldn't get it as crispy as frying in a wok. I suspect it might be because I'm using  the deeper pan and there's more space around the fish, hence it does take quite a while to get the fish thoroughly cooked.

3. Grill Salmon
Whenever I grill salmon, which is a very oily fish, the kitchen becomes oily and by the time it's done (which took quite a while), I end up with a pan full of oil - which ALL comes from the fish. Perhaps I've cooked it a tad too long so all the oil  came out? But I don't have as much problem with cooking cod fish.


4. Frying chicken wings
Just like with frying fish, I could never get crispy skin with the chicken wings. Not sure if it's the cooking method or simply because of the pan. They turned out more like braised chicken wings, minus the gravy. The floor is also more oily than when I cook other items (but much less than frying salmon).



5. Scratches
I'm not sure if it's just me, but there's already a few scratches on the bottom of the pan despite being very careful with it (that;s also why I don't let the helper use the pan; she's really rough with things). Thankfully they are not very deep scratches, so I continue using the pan. I suppose maybe the edges of the wooden spatula isn't smooth enough. So be very selective of the spatula you use. By the way, does anyone know if it's harmful to health to continue using the pan after scratches have appeared?

6. Weight
Depending on how much food you're cooking, it can get a bit too heavy sometimes. But I'm not a strong woman to begin with. So this is not actually a problem. Anyway, in most cases, it's not necessary to keep flipping the pan, especially not when you're cooking something with more liquid.


Overall, I'm pleased with the Happy Call pan. I've also been cooking lots of pasta and fried noodles and fried rice because I don't have to worry about greasy fumes or lingering smell in the kitchen from the cooking. It's also healthier since I use lesser amount of oil because of the non-stick property of the pan.


How's your Happy Call experience? Do you think it's one of the best investment you've made for the kitchen? 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Mommy CafeDesigned by Patricia Alix-Villa of Fancy Girl Designs 2012

Back to TOP